Janet always enters my electrolysis clinic to the music of
Sarah Brightman, her favourite singer. That is what is on her MP3 player and what she listens to during her session with me. Since she will be with me for 1 hour, I always encourage her to bring her music with her to the appointment to help her
relax during the process. She is actually one of my clients who routinely dozes off during her treatment.
Marilyn on the other hand came to see me for a consultation and sample treatment (always insist on one before starting electrolysis) directly from a night in the ER at the local Richmond Hill hospital with her 9-year-old son. This woman had several tattoos and I was sure a small bikini sample treatment would be a walk in the park. Not so. She was exhausted, dehydrated and so pumped with caffeine that she winced and squirmed for each insertion of the probe. After hearing about her evening and sensing her fatigue, I encouraged her to try again when she was rested and hydrated. Now Marilyn has a permanently hair free bikini line. I see her before the summer and before a vacation for a 15 minute touch-up.
Clearly the process can be comfortable and rewarding. Here are some steps you can take for a more relaxing and positive electrolysis experience.
Before Your Appointment:
1) Never make an appointment when you know you will be rushed, stressed or tired. Give yourself this time.
2) Do not make appointments just before or during your period if you know you are irritable or sensitive at this time of the month.
3) Avoid caffeine before your appointment. It can act as a stimulant and make you irritable and jumpy.
4) Try to avoid direct sun exposure 48 hours before your treatment to avoid dilation of blood vessels.
5) Drink water. A hydrated follicle is easier to treat.
6) Some clients feel less discomfort if they have a full meal before their appointment.
7) Some clients find a Tylenol or Advil 30 minutes before their session helpful.
8) If acceptable, shave or use a cream depilatory 5-7 days before the scheduled appointment. This will ensure a higher
Anagen ratio with smoother insertions and epilations.
9) If needed, apply EMLA 2.5% numbing cream thickly to the area to be treated 1 hour before the scheduled appointment
time and cover the area with Saran to ensure the penetration
and avoid evaporation of the topical.
10) Bring your own favourite music on your phone or MP3 player.
After your appointment:
1) Do not scratch or touch the treated area. Bacteria from all the surfaces you've touched after you have left the treatment room can cause a breakout.
2) Do not wear makeup over the treated area for 24 hours. It can cause irritation.
3) Avoid alcohol based products on your skin as they can have a drying effect.
4) If unusualredness occurs mix a small dab of Polysporin with a small dab of .5% Cortate cream using a clean Q tip and apply to the affected area twice a day.
5) Avoid direct sun after treatment to avoid hyper pigmentation .
6) If small scabs occur do not pick or scratch them. Keep the area moisturized and they will fall off on their own.
If you keep these pointers in mind when you book your electrolysis appointment, you, like Janet, should have a positive experience with positive end results -
smooth, hair-free skin and radiant confidence!
About the Author: